Electrophoresis - Agarose Gels for Single Stranded DNA
1. Prepare 50X TAE as:
242 g Tris Base
57.1 mL Glacial Acetic Acid
100 mL 500 mM EDTA, pH 8.0
600 mL ddH2O
Bring volume to 1 L.
2. Mix the following:
0.40 g Agarose
4.00 mL 50X TBE (4X TAE final)
46.00 mL Water
1.00 µL 10 mg/mL Ethidium Bromide
3. Melt agarose in the microwave
4. Seal horizontal gel apparatus. Pour molten agarose onto gel plate to a depth of 4 - 8 mm.
5. Insert a comb until its base is 1 mm from the base of the gel. Allow to cool
6. Remove comb and submerge in 4X TAE buffer.
7. Prepare 6X Loading Dye as:
3 mL 100% Glycerol
3 mL 0.5 M EDTA, pH 8.0
3 mg Bromophenol Blue
3 mg Xylene Cyanol
4 mL Sterile Water
10 mL Total Volume
8. Add 1/5 volume 6X Loading Dye to sample. Mix well and pellet in the microfuge.
9. Add sample to well with a yellow tip. Do not overflow well. For large samples, either reduce sample in volume prior to adding dye, or load into multiple wells.
10. Electrophorese until Bromophenol Blue is near the end of the gel. This dye runs at ~800 b.
11. Remove gel and visualize bands under uv light.